Tuesday, May 31, 2016

The Power of Gratitude

Gratitude. We hear all the time about the resilient power of gratitude. We were taught to give thanks and to count our blessings. Americans say thank you all day long. We have an entire day dedicated to thanksgiving. 

After a difficult few weeks and a desperate need for change I ran across an article that described different post it's to have around your house to make you happier. I decided to take the challenge a bit further. I turned each month into a post it. 

For the month of May it was my job to journal every day about one thing I was Thankful for. No matter how my day went or what awful things I wanted to write about, I first had to be grateful. What surprised me was the ease in which this came. Some days I had far more than one thing to be thankful for, and others I wrote pages about my thanks. Somehow, after journaling about my thanks, I no longer had anything negative about my day that was still bothering me. The power of gratitude is incredible. I am so thankful I took on this challenge. 

Although I didn't get to journal every single day, I still wanted to share the topics I wrote about. Often as PCV'S we can become surrounded by negativity and feel discouraged. This month showed me that my positivity, my greatest strength, is a weapon against the deep pit of culture shock and homesickness. As I wrote about my thanks I saw every part of me in a positive light and I began to love and cherish my body and mind each day, finally treating it with the respect and care it deserves. It is fitting that next month's task is to write about one thing you're proud of. 

Here is what I was Thankful for in the month of May:

-the art of entertainment 
-my mother
-writing: writing letters, journaling, and growing up in a time and place where my education was prioritized
-my perseverance and commitment 
-Laughter 
(my host sister in the middle is always making me laugh)
-Peace Corps because it makes personal growth an opportunity and a necessity
(Joiwyn and I at our Swearing in ceremony in our traditional dresses) 
-my strong capacity to live and for all of the times I have fallen in love in the past and all of the times I will fall in love in the future
-thankful that although I may not be completely away from society, I am far removed from my society, and that in of itself is a glorious adventure of self discovery and working through my "stuff " without having to lose everyone I love in the process (I had just watched the movie Into the Wild)
(as seen in my village)
-choosing Peace Corps and choosing balance 
-my ability to always eventually find happiness, and I'm thankful for seeing it that way instead of seeing the world as inevitable bad things coming 
(My coworker and friend who always brightens my day and guides me through village life)
-my PCV friends! 

(And many many more)
-little kids. Their creativity, their exploration, their imagination, their joy.
-my nieces and nephew(s)

(Auntie Benny life)
-journaling and my self care techniques
-my cousin Megan 

-the people and stories that give me hope
-blankets, yoga, and the financial means and education to be smart about my food consumption
-that I will never be too old for sleepovers and talking into the night till morning 
(getting silly at our most recent sleepover)
-Yoga. 
-I was able to chair today's meeting 
(A mural at my school on a rare rainy day)
-I am thankful for the privilege of listening to my students stories. 
(facilitating a club meeting)
-lunch, successful clubs, choir, arts, dance, writing letters, happiness, friendship, feeling high on life
(walking towards the school gate) 

-being a side of myself today that I had lost sight of (my dramatic flair returned) 
-my Dad

-my Bots family. 
-my family 
-all of the families I find myself a part of (theater, show choir, the girls, oalife, ballroom, Alice, and on and on and on) 
-being able to laugh with my girls no matter how long we are apart (and tacos)
 (especially in the 216)
-Books 
-technology and the gift it gives me of being able to talk to my loved ones no matter where I am in the world and no matter where they are. 

The list could continue forever. But now we've reached June, so a new challenge awaits! Thank you to all who care enough to follow along on my journey and who are constantly sending me support and love through fb, whatsapp, email, snail mail, snapchat, and everywhere in between. I couldn't have spent 10 months here without you. The hope I have for the remaining 17 is also largely because of you. Today, I am most thankful, for you. 

Best,
Bethany

No comments:

Post a Comment