Nine months ago, to the date, I had 4 sibs. Sunday morning as I craweled into bed around 6:30am, I realized I now have 17. I might be an ocean away from my blood relatives, but my gift in Bots is two new families to treat me as their own.
Saturday I traveled to Molepolole (my training village) with four of my host sibs from my current village to help cater an all night music fest. We spent the whole day preping and cooking, laughing and joking, and when we finally got to the event and set up, the crowd started to grow. There were many acts from all over Southern Africa to entertain the crowd and provide the dance music. Not to mention all of the incredible food my host sister had cooked up. Every couple of minutes or so I was given something else to taste as we served and cooked for most of the night.
But the highlight of the night was the dancing. Most popular music in Bots is House music. (example: https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=k53FhqD6MQs&list=RDk53FhqD6MQs )Even US songs that are hot here get mixed and remixed by DJ's to have the house beat. When you're just listening to the radio or to a neighbor with speakers it can honestly get old after awhile. The beat always sounds the same and the songs start to run together (especially since they aren't normally in English). I like a few songs, but on most occasions I start to get restless and want to listen to something else.
Not at this event. Everyone was dancing like there was no tomorrow. People were not standing in place and swaying or grinding to the music. Oh now. They were LIFTED through the air by the passion of their art. Jumping, hoping, stamping, grooving. Dance is a full body afair. Arms were flying and energy was everywhere. People were working off each others moves, adding and morphing talent to create incredible moments of flow. My soul was on fire. There are few things in life as inticing and energizing to me as a packed dance floor filled with people who are doing what they do best without a care in the world: getting down.
My heart pounds, my body starts to rock, my eyes sparkle, and before I know it it feels as though I have no CHOICE but to join the controlled chaos of a brilliant dance floor. I was starting to dance a little, quietly, next to our food tent, as we served and helped out. But as the night went on I became a bit more brave, dancing on the edge of the crowd, aware of the people staring and whispering about the Lekowa (white person) dancing. But then my host brother, one of the best dancers I've seen here, led me to the middle of the crowd, and it began. The flow. That moment when time stands still, your pulse quickens, and every ounce of energy you would expend in a week fuels each second as though there will never be anything as important as this moment. This dance. The world evaporates around you, the crowd opens a circle surrounding you, and there is no wiping the blazing smile from your face. This is freedom.
The night was full of new friends, family, and food. I met up with two of my original host brothers and introduced my two families. We all had an amazing time. I was supported, I was protected, I was blissful. I was myself.
When the event was over at 6am, I went to my original host family's house for a couple hours of sleep, before joining my family for two days of quiet, peaceful village life. I hadn't been back to Moleps for 6 months, but I was welcomed back as if I had never left. As my host sister said, "you are family. there will always be a bed for you here."
A friend once told me "you are a family girl. you make families wherever you go." How lucky I am to meet these people. How lucky I am to learn from them. How lucky I am to call myself their sister.
How lucky I am to have 18 months left with them.
No comments:
Post a Comment