Friday, March 4, 2016

The Daily Grind

Recently I've been making it a priority to have a call home once a week to help me stay connected with friends and family. These calls leave me refreshed and in high spirits and if you're interested you can message me so we can make it happen! 

One question that keeps coming up in these conversations is "what do you do every day?" This is a bit difficult because it changes, but I thought I'd outline a typical day for you all. 

I go to work at my school M-F 7:30-4:30. As time goes on I'm starting to go in later one or two days a week so that I can go out into the community and work there. So far I don't have anything permanent in the community, rather I am networking and attempting to start small projects. 

I wake up at 6am every day (or a bit later depending on how much I snooze...). I try to leave for school by 7:15 so I can get to assembly. Mondays and Fridays there is a General Assembly for the whole school. In Wednesday there are house assemblies, Thursday is a staff briefing, and Tuesday is open. 

From 7:45-1:30 there are classes. I occasionally cover classes for the Guidance and Counseling teachers. These classes are based on life skills (study skills, drug and alcohol abuse, HIV prevention, communication, goal setting, etc etc) and are fun to facilitate. I appreciate being able to connect with students on difficult topics that are impacting their lives. I also like giving these classes an opportunity to ask me about America and to give a comparison to the realities of Botswana vs American Media vs the realities of America. 

When I am not in class I am either planning projects or meeting with teachers or making myself available to students. Since we have 1.7 thousand students, most of which are boarders, the Guidance department takes on the role of parent in a lot of ways. Before school, during tea break, lunch time, or after classes I am often meeting with students about a wide range of issues. Anything from relationships to friends to addictions to parents to academics to career. And everything in between. Often, these youth simply want someone to listen to them without judgement. These meetings are the true reward of my time here. 

Lunch is 1:30-2:30 and I eat in the dining hall with the students and teachers on duty. I'll try to take pictures at lunch next week so that I can write a blog on food! I love eating there because the food is good, I am available to students, and I save myself 5 meals a week. Win win win. 

2:30-3:30 is study for students so sometimes I am meeting with them or I'm meeting with colleagues. 3:30-4:30 is the time for clubs. I have many clubs that I'm attempting to start or to help with during this time including Journalism club, PACT  Club (peer approach to counseling by teens), abstinence club, and Go Girls! Club. Things are a bit slow moving right now because my office is so busy, but I have faith things will pick up. 

I get home by 5 most days (walking) and I spend a bit of time enjoying the outside and the wifi while I decompress from potentially emotionally exhausting days. I normally watch two episodes of TV (right now it's Grey's Anatomy), cook dinner, color in one of my super awesome coloring books, and then end my night with a bit of yoga before bed around 10 or 11. 

Because of the nature of my office, there isn't really a typical day, but hopefully this gave you a bit of an idea of what my life is like. Let me know if you have any other questions or topics that you would love me to blog about. 

Best,
Bethany 

2 comments:

  1. Hi Bethany,

    Wow! So different than what I do, of course, so many things to consider as to why they are different. You have your own office?! Very nice. One thing definitely caught my attention, you meet with students to talk about all sorts of issues, that is so awesome. You actually have the opportunity to practice social work formally? I've been told over and over, throughout my service, that we are not Social Workers, or whatever our profession is, but volunteers. I understand we have to put on different hats and support in all ways, and I do, but I find myself being very careful with my social worker role because of what I have been told. I am definitely learning and discovering myself as a social worker, but in my own way and definitely informally. Were you told anything along those lines?

    Best,
    Andrea Guerrero

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. Andrea!

      I share an office with two teachers, but it is really nice to have a place to be. I do meet with students when they request to meet with me. It's normally mentorship, problem solving, or just active listening. It does feel a bit like micro work, but I am doing what all other teachers at my school are doing so it doesn't feel like it's outside my realm as a volunteer. Sometimes I'm the only person they are comfortable opening up to, and I'm always bringing in other teachers or more support if I think it's above my responsibilities. We were told we aren't teachers or counselors, but that some volunteers do do things outside of our volunteer description if they are comfortable doing it and are supported in it. Like I'm not supposed to teach but I do teach classes to fill in when my colleagues are at workshops, etc. It's been an interesting balance to find.

      Delete