Thursday, April 4, 2013

Feaster in Oz



Before we begin on another week's journey, I'd like to point out that I am going to class, doing large amounts of work, and still dealing with all the normal stressors of being a Uni student. Just incase anyone was worried that I'm neglecting my studies :) I just figured talking about my classes every week would get a bit boring!

Rehearsal for Alice keeps bumping along nicely! We learned two of the main chorus numbers this week, and I'm falling in love with the songs. It's nice to know my monday's always start with goofing around in rehearsal.

Wednesday was an absolutely beautiful day, and I got to spend it in the city! Two of the friends I'd made at MojoSurf (Brian and Emily) are studying at the University of Sydney, and had been talking about the strike that was scheduled for Tuesday and Wednesday. My Activism and Social Change class's final project involves attending a social movement event, so I jumped at the chance to see the strike. It helped that I've been wanting to see the gorgeous campus of Uni of Sydney :) Brian and I walked down to the picket line, but unfortunately it seemed to be thinning out for the day.

Main Gates to Uni
Picket Line
After taking a few pictures and picking up a flyer or two, I got the grand tour of campus and we headed up to the main street of Newtown for Thai food! This might have been the highlight of my day. I've been craving Thai food since I returned from Thailand in January, and I keep being told that it is incredible in Oz, so it was a treat to have a whole street full of Thai options. The problem is, now that I've had a taste of it again, it's all I want to eat!

After lunch we decided to take the train into Circular Quay and explore a bit. We started off at the Museum of Contemporary Art, which was very interesting, to say the least. There were a few pieces that caught my attention, but most of the time I was walking around with a confused look on my face. I guess I'm not as "cultured" as I like to believe! We then took a nice stroll through the beautiful botanical gardens, and found a massive spider web glistening in the sun. (Sorry Vlk for the picture!) I wish I lived closer to the center of the city so I could come to the botanical gardens every chance I had.


On the other end of the gardens was the New South Wales Art Gallery. My future brother-in-law had sent me a list of tips from a friend of his, and on there was Wednesday's at the art gallery. It was a perfect suggestion! It's open later on Wednesdays and there are free talks and tours throughout the evening. The art gallery was beautiful, and had tons of incredible exhibits. We spent a couple of hours walking in and out of rooms, but I could've been there all day. Once we were back at Newtown we met up with Emily and a few more friends for sushi, and then Courtney joined us for a fun night out in the city!

Thursday I trekked to the post office, which is about an hour round trip. It was worth it though, because inside the box I picked up was an easter basket for me! Thank you Mom and Dad! I miss my Malley's bunny, but this was a pretty good substitute.
The Easter Bunny Came!
That night I attended my first Global Leadership Program colloquium. GLP is an extra certificate that I'm working to achieve while abroad. I will attend five colloquiums centered around global issues or leadership skills (or both!) and one major cultural event with other people in the program. My first event was about the whaling dispute between Australia and Japan. One thing I've loved about being here are all the opportunities I'm getting to learn about new topics and different perspectives. GLP is yet another way to gain a cross cultural view and a better understanding of globalization and it's impact on the world.

Even though I've been on the other side of the world, I've still been following March Madness! After following the Ohio State Sweet 16 game, I gloated around the village for a bit with my buckeye beads, and then headed to Sydney Olympic Park for the Royal Easter Show. The Royal Easter Show is essentially a massive state fair. There were carnival rides, huge buildings full of animals, arts and crafts, and all the carnival food that my little heart desired.

The Ride's Section of the Royal Easter Show
The Hair Says it All.
Emma, Sam, Wayne and I walked through most of the animal areas, including the one where we could pet and feed the baby animals! They were so cute!

Awww!!!

















We also rode one of the rides, but the cheapest ride was about $7, so we decided to keep walking around, eat more carnie food, and watch the show in the stadium before the fireworks. I got a massive corndog, fairy floss (aka cotton candy), lemonade, and chips on a stick.

Chips on a Stick!
Chips on a stick has officially been ranked in my very prestigious list of the best carnival food of all time. They take a potato, slice it in a spiral, put it on a stick, deep fry it, and spice it. There are not words to describe how good it tasted. The fireworks were pretty good too, but more than anything they made me excited to be home for Fourth of July :)

Emma, Wayne, Me, and Sam at the Royal Easter Show
Saturday Night, Wayne and I got all dolled up and went downtown to the Opera House to see Light and Gold. The Sydney Philharmonic Choirs were singing a concert comprised of Eric Whitacre and Moses Hogan music. The kicker? Eric Whitacre HIMSELF was directing! I could not have been more excited for a night to geek out over my favorite choral composer.

Getting Pumped!
When we got there we found out we had front row seats! Not to mention we were sitting next to a lovely couple from, where? You guessed it! Ohio! I must have a look about me that attracts people from home... haha! And I was mere feet away from Eric Whitacre whenever he spoke. Amazing. Both choirs that performed were exceptional, and I was reminded how ethereal his music is. It was great to get the stories behind each song straight from the source, and to really see his passion for music.

We Were So Close!
The Concert Hall!
After the show we found out that he was signing autographs! Of course we waited in line to meet him! When we finally got to shake his hand and talk to him, Wayne and I were both blabbering and smiling like idiots, trying to get out words for how his music impacted us. He took all the attention graciously and humbly, and I walked away beaming and giggling.  What a night!
Wayne, Eric Whitacre, and Me!
I woke up bright and early Sunday morning and made my way to Easter Mass at a church in Epping. I was surprised that the church was only moderately full, and hardly anyone was as formally dressed as I'm used to seeing on Easter. The percentage of religious people in Australia is much, much lower than in the states. But mass is mass, no matter where you are! Sunday night we organized a big group of kids from the village, mostly American, for an easter pot luck, or "Feaster" (easter with friends) as my sister would call it. Everyone brought a dish or two and we all ate until we couldn't move, salivating from all the delectable home made food.

Feaster!
It was nice to have a taste of home and come together for the family dinner everyone was missing. It was a pretty great week for food, to say the least!

Until Next Time,
Bethany


Time and Change Will Surely Show How Firm They Friendship OHIO

No comments:

Post a Comment