Thursday, April 25, 2013

April Showers Bring... Fall.

Long time, no see! It'll take me a few posts to catch up, but bear with me :) Here goes April!

After Easter there were a lot of "feels" between missing family and trying to cram all of my work, cleaning, and packing in before leaving for break. The two weeks before break was a lot of locking myself in my room, trying my hardest to write papers, and ending up on facebook...surprise surprise, Oz isn't so different from home after all!

On April 2nd, I got the pleasant treat of meeting Courtney's parent's and getting to enjoy a night out of the village with them and a few friends. It was so nice to relax and live in "luxury" with our pizza night out. Thanks to the Werner's for an awesome time! They were too sweet to us. It's always great to have substitute parents for a night when you're far from home.

Mary, Courtney, Brooks and I!
Although I'm so far away, I'm always connected to OSU, and I was lucky enough to score an interview for an Office Assistant position for the fall. This is the same job I've had the last year and a half, but this interview was special because my best friend, and future roommate, Glenna, was helping conduct it! I could hardly contain my excitement when her face popped up on the screen! Snapchats come close, but there's nothing like talking face to face with the people who make my life so silly and wonderful! And, even better news, I got the job! Can't wait to be back to #oalife for a couple months this fall :)

Saturday night we had roommate night in the city! Tina, Wayne, Alex and I headed to China town for some savoury delights from the food court. I think ethnic cuisine food courts are my new favorite place to eat. They always give massive portions for a decent price and the food is exceptional. I love trying new things every time! We then went over to Luna Park!


Luna Park is the amusement park featured in Our Lips Are Sealed (aka, Mary Kate and Ashley Olsen take Australia).


It's right on the water, fairly small, and apparently has a hard time staying open, but it's such a historical landmark to the city at this point that it manages to stay.


Although it kept trying to rain on us, we had a blast riding all the rides and screaming our heads off.
Wayne, Me, Alex, and Tina!

I ended my week going into the city with Maxine to attend a talk at the All About Women event happening at the Opera House. This time I got to go into the main theater! I was very excited about seeing the main theater, but a little disappointed  Since the theater is more modern than the ones I'm used to being in, it was very plain and stream lined, rather than the extravagant theaters of NYC, Cleveland, or Columbus. However, the speaker was outstanding and inspirational.

Nobel Peace Prize recipient and Liberian activist Leymah Gbowee spoke about the Power of Women and Girls. She encouraged us to believe in our own inner strength and to use our education to make an impact on our community. I feel so lucky to have had the opportunity to see such an amazing woman speak. Being abroad has opened up so many doors to me, mostly because I think of every opportunity that walks past me as my only chance, so I reach for as many as I can and take advantage of them all.

The next morning I Skyped my parents for my Mom's Birthday and I got the best news of all : My Dad surprised my Mom with a trip to Sydney to see me in my musical! I could not have been more excited!! It's been so fun thinking up all of the things I want to do with them when they get here. It's going to be awesome to show them the new life I've had here, but mostly I'm excited to know that the two people who love me most in the world will be in the audience for my first show in three years. Thanks Dad! This is just as much a present for me as it is for Mom!

Come back soon, the next few posts will be all about my adventures on mid-semester break!

Cheers!
Bethany

Time and Change Will Surely Show How Firm Thy Friendship OHIO

No comments:

Post a Comment