I've now been here a week and life has finally calmed down enough to sit for 20 minutes and breathe! This past week has been a whirlwind of nonstop adventure; it feels like I've been here for weeks and known my new friends in my program for months.
My travel time from Cleveland to Cairns was about 30 hours. On the plane from CLE to LAX I met a recent graduate of The Ohio State University, who knew my roommate from this past semester, and was also on her way to Australia, and I could tell it was a good omen. Soon upon arriving in LA I realized Courtney, who graduated from a town 20 minutes from me, and who was in my abroad program, was also on the flight. Within the next 5 hours in LAX we met up with almost everyone in our program and thus began our insane journey together.
Upon arrival in Cairns we checked into our accommodations, Gilligan's, and attended our first orientation session before heading to the pier for dinner at Dundees. It was incredible to walk around in the sunshine, heat, and humidity, after just leaving cloudy and cold Cleveland a day before. The east coast kids were used to the humidity, but the west cost kids couldn't believe what it was doing to their hair; thus starting just one of many discussions when we realized how differently we had all grown up in our different states, even though we all come from the same country. That night everyone went to explore the city early, and most of us ended up at the bar at Gilligan's. It was a great place for our first night because there was a good mix of travelers and locals, and we met people from all over the world.
The next day (Friday the 15th) we had another session and then we were on our way to Rainforestation! After a very windy and motion sick inducing bus ride into the jungle, we boarded a vehicle that they told us rode on land and in the water, aka a DUCK BOAT. A few of you will understand how excited I was to see one, and they were made in the US so they drove on the "right" side! We had a very nice guide point out some very cool plants and talk to us about the rain forest. We then went and painted pictures of kanga's and crocs, just like the aborigines.
While we were exploring our creative sides, we asked some of the aborigines who worked at Rainforestation to paint our faces and arms. After lunch we watched a dance performance by those same aborigines. Some of the people from our group (GlobalLinks) went onstage to learn one of the dances. They were all hilarious to watch and looked like they were having a blast!
We went on a short tour next and learned about didgeridoo's, spear throwing, and boomerangs.
Finally we got to go see the animals! I held a snake and looked at all the interesting animals. They then took us over to feed the kangaroos! When the kanga bent down to nibble the pellets out of my hand I just about melted into a puddle of happiness.
I'll have the second half of my time at Cairns up as soon as I can!
Bethany
Time and Change Will Surely Show How Firm Thy Friendship OHIO




No comments:
Post a Comment