Sunday, November 5, 2017

COS 6: Spain

What a beautiful feeling to land in the Madrid airport knowing I was about to be seeing friends from America. I spent 5 days at my college friend Gabby’s beautiful studio apartment in Malasaña. The neighborhood is popular and busy with tons of shops and restaurants. We were close to many major parts of the city, and the metro was simple to navigate for everywhere else.

On the first night, we went shoe shopping, as my backpackers wardrobe was not sufficient for two weeks in Europe. We then met her friends at a bar with incredible tapas. Everywhere gabby took me was cheap and delicious: she would order for me (in gorgeous Spanish) and I would undoubtedly love whatever came out. Breakfast the next morning was no exception, as we ate on a sidewalk cafe and I was nearly giddy with the authentic European feeling of it all. We proceeded to go clothes shopping, which was a lot of me not knowing what was in style and being confused by all the fur and large sweaters. We did a bit of a city tour and ate ham (which is huge in Madrid) before coming back for a siesta: one of the best parts about Spain.
What a beautiful feeling to land in the Madrid airport knowing I was about to be seeing friends from America. I spent 5 days at my college friend Gabby’s beautiful studio apartment in Malasaña. The neighborhood is popular and busy with tons of shops and restaurants. We were close to many major parts of the city, and the metro was simple to navigate for everywhere else.

On the first night, we went shoe shopping, as my backpackers wardrobe was not sufficient for two weeks in Europe. We then met her friends at a bar with incredible tapas. Everywhere gabby took me was cheap and delicious: she would order for me (in gorgeous Spanish) and I would undoubtedly love whatever came out. Breakfast the next morning was no exception, as we ate on a sidewalk cafe and I was nearly giddy with the authentic European feeling of it all. We proceeded to go clothes shopping, which was a lot of me not knowing what was in style and being confused by all the fur and large sweaters. We did a bit of a city tour and ate ham (which is huge in Madrid) before coming back for a siesta: one of the best parts about Spain.

Since it was Saturday, and gabby has incredible internet (I forgot what I'd been missing) we got nachos and burritos to go, and got to watch the EPIC OSU PSU game! It was certainly a dramatic finish, which we hardly kept awake to watch, but so worth it. It's good to be a Buckeye.

Early Sunday morning, one of my good friends from graduate school, Rob, flew in from the states. We went to brunch at a great little place nearby, and the walked around to see some of the more touristy areas, like near city hall. Every day in Madrid was a combination of great food, cheap drinks, and beautiful walks.

The next day Rob and I went to the Reina Sophia museum, which was full of more modern art, including Picasso and Dali. Tuesday involved shopping, wandering, and Halloween with some of Gabby's friends! A very fun night out for our last hurrah in the city. I am so glad I got to see Gabby and spend so much time together after so many years apart: I'm looking forward to the next adventure where we meet!

Early Wednesday morning, Rob and I took the train to Barcelona. What an incredible, and busy, city. We spent days wandering through the streets of the gothic neighborhood and the areas around it, mesmerized by the tiny winding streets and gorgeous architecture. On Thursday we took a morning tour of the gothic district, which included local insight to the protests in Catalina, and an accidental stumbling upon said protests. Regardless of the political situation, it was actually quiet beautiful to witness the Catalan pride during the protest as the crowd sang their anthem.

 After tapas we went on an afternoon tour featuring the famous architect Antoni Gaudi. If you've never been to Barcelona, please take a minute to Google his work. It is incredible and indescribable by someone like me. Unreal. We made friends on our tour and met up with them for most of our future endeavors. Including a free visit to the Picasso museum that evening, followed by sangria.

Friday morning included a visit to a local market La Boqueria, which was mostly tourists but cheap and delicious. We then walked through another neighborhood and found ourselves in a park that included a beautiful pond and the Catalonian parliament building. We took a bus and then a cable car to Montjuic Castle which is on a hill that overlooks the whole city, and on the way we passed the Olympic village and stadium from 1992. After walking down the hill, we met up with our friends and watched the spectacular lights and music show at Font Majica.

Saturday started with another market trip before the exquisite Sagrada Familia, Gaudi’s masterpiece. The church has been under construction for over 100 years, and is expected to be completed in 2026. It is the most beautiful and moving building I've ever had the privilege to witness. The light shines through the stain glass windows, cool colors where the sun rises, and warm colors where the sun sets,and creates gorgeous beams of color through the church. The architecture is all connected to nature and soaked in symbolism. Although Gaudi has been dead for 91 years, generations have taken it upon themselves to ensure his vision is honored. A true work of genius, and a breathtaking connection to a higher power. I'm not sure any religion has lived up to the glory of this masterpiece.

We transitioned to Parc Güell, another Gaudi project that was supposed to be a housing development, but is now mostly a park known for it's mosaics. We also toured Gaudi’s house which has been turned into a museum. The mosaics in the park are gorgeous and play with connections to nature.

That evening we met our friends for a flamenco show. It was lively and beautifully performed! Although flamenco originates in the south of Spain, I'm glad we had the opportunity to witness it. We went to dinner at El Nacional, an area of resturaunts recommended to us by a Barcelona girl I'd met in Madrid. It was the best meal I've had in months, if not years. I'm certainly eating well in Europe!

Sunday we took advantage of the free first Sunday of the month to go to the National Museum of Art of Catalonia. We also continued our incredible food tour of Spain with amazing tacos and gluten free crepes. We tried to see the Castellers, but the website gave us the wrong time so we missed it! So sad.

We redeemed our night at a salsa club! It was so fun to dance with Rob again, and there was even a little Zumba style session halfway through. I had missed dancing a lot, and I loved watching all the incredible dancers.

Spain was incredible. The food and culture were wonderful and we met such great people. It was fairly more expensive in Barcelona, but there was SO much to do. I hope I get to go back some day to see the rest of the country!

No comments:

Post a Comment