![]() |
| The bridge between Zimbabwe and Zambia, over the Zambezi River |
After our delightful experience in Botswana, we headed a bit north to Zimbabwe for Victoria Falls. Victoria Falls is also something I would recommend googling. It is a world heritage site and is many times larger than Niagra Falls. We stayed in a larger lodge here and it was interesting for me to suddenly be out of my comfort zone. The whole time we were in Botswana I felt at home. I knew the customs and the language. I knew the people and how they acted and why. When we got to Zimbabwe I was suddenly unsure. I didn’t know what language people were speaking or what the appropriate greeting was or if what I was doing was culturally acceptable. I suddenly felt very aware of my whiteness and my americanness and my ability to make a colossal mistake without realizing it. It did not help that we were in an extremely touristy place and I suddenly felt like I was screaming $$$.
Victoria Falls, however, was beautiful. I am very glad that we went and we were able to experience it. It is absolutely massive and we had to wear rain coats most of the time because of the mist.
We also enjoyed another sunset cruise on the river and saw many more hippos.
![]() |
| Hungry Hungry Hippos |
We saw a vulture feeding during one day and watched hundreds of vultures swarm the sky. One night we went to a dinner where they cooked tons of game meat and had drum performances as well as a song where they taught everyone how to drum followed by a dance circle.
At the dinner we tried mmopani worms (caterpillar), warthog (amazing.), impala, kudu, guinea fowl, and a few more traditional dishes. The food was awesome because it was so different for me. I loved trying so much and laughing over the stranger dishes. It was a great night.
After Victoria Falls we made our way south to Cape Town, South Africa. We had a wonderful few days, and I can definitely see myself returning to Cape Town again to explore even more of the city. First of all, the food. I have been deprived of real restaurants for a year now. Cape Town was full to the brim with incredible restaurants. I focused on sea food and red wine above all else, but everything we ate was delicious.
![]() |
| View of Cape Town and Table Mountain from Robben Island |
On our first day we went to Robben Island, formerly a political prison where many of the most famous anti-apartheid activists were housed, the island is now a museum where former prisoners and former guards live and work together to preserve the history of the island. We were about to see Nelson Mandela’s maximum security prison cell on our tour as well as the house Robert Sobukwe was held prisoner for years. Our guides were dedicated to the museum and did an exceptional job of setting the scene for us.
![]() |
| Our guide showing us the different menus based on race. |
![]() |
| Where Robert Sobukwe's children slept when they were allowed to see their father |
![]() |
| Nelson Mandela's Cell |
I was honored to be somewhere where so many political activists were together, finding ways to resist together even from within the confines of their prison cells. Our guide for the prison was a former prisoner who had been plotting and hiding in Botswana for a number of years before he was caught and tortured for information. I later found his picture among a mural- he was on the kitchen staff. It was moving to see former prisoners and guards working together to ensure this part of history is not forgotten. The idea was a breath of fresh air from the tumultuous habit of hiding the bad parts of American history. I was inspired.
In the afternoon we made our way up Table Mountain, the massive mountain that frames Cape Town and is quite flat on top, like a table. We made our way up in a cable car and spent some time exploring the beautiful views of Cape Town.
After we took a driving tour of the city which included seeing some of the famous beaches, suburbs, a jewelry showroom, and the Malay Quarter, famous for it’s bright colored houses. The Malay Quarter is currently mostly populated by the muslim population in Cape Town. As we arrived it was nearing dusk during Ramadan, and the streets were becoming alive as people prepared to break their fast. It was a beautiful sight to see. Cape Town is truly an international city, and the natives are even more diverse. I was happy to experience it’s charm, even if only for a few days.
![]() |
| The Malay Quarter |
![]() |
| Beaches! |
On the second day we took a Peninsula Tour with a fantastic guide who got us to the penguins early in the morning in order to see their bathing ritual. The penguins were adorable and were all over! They’re called the Jack Ass Penguins because when they make noise they sound like a donkey. It’s shocking that such a loud and obnoxious sound could come out of such tiny and adorable creatures! Many of the penguins were also nesting and mating. Since we went so early we were some of the only people there and we got to see so many!
Following the penguins we drove to the Cape of Good Hope which is part of the Table Mountain National Park. It was absolutely breathtaking to see the Atlantic Ocean from this side with the massive waves and huge rocks. The national park is part of the world-renowned Cape Floral Kingdom which is the smallest floral kingdom and has thousands of diverse plants (I’m no botanist, but it was beautiful). We saw more baboons as well as two Ostrich chasing each other.
We hiked to the top of the point to where the lighthouse is to look out for another beautiful view. Following, we ate lunch at a local place that looked like it was out of a fairy tale the way the meadow, water, and mountains came together in the background of the children playing and the adults sipping warm drinks, all with blankets included (it is winter here, after all). I had a fabulous shrimp curry and took in the sites, and we made sure to stop by the homemade dessert shop on our way out.
![]() |
| What's Vacation without an OHIO! |
Next we drove along Chapman’s Peak Drive, a famous cliff hugging and ocean view road that reminded me of Great Ocean Road in Australia. The sites were remarkable and we had a beautiful clear day to enjoy it all. We stopped at a winery on our way back to town and I had my first wine tasting. On our last night we grabbed food at a sports bar with live music and had a great time.
Cape Town was an awesome experience. I hope I can go back to explore it more like a local at some point during my service. The entire two weeks was like something out of a dream. I am so grateful for my parents for taking me on an adventure of a life time and I’m glad Pam and Tim were able to join us for all of the fun.
Thank you Mom and Dad, I love you.



























No comments:
Post a Comment