Sunday, October 4, 2015

October 4th, 2015

Two months in country!

This week we are back in training. Most of the country is on holiday for Botswana Independence Day so we had a fairly relaxed week which included a cultural festival in the  30th at the kgotla to celebrate 49 years of independence.
I'm friend Evan and I cut my friend Joiwyn hair  after! My second hair cut so far. I need about more practice but it's been fun so far.

Thursday there was a group of current volunteers who came to present to us on committees and initiatives we can get involved in once we've sworn in. It gave me great ideas for my service and how I can be active in the volunteer community. 

It was a good thing we had a relaxed week because I was sick for most of it. Being sick when you're in another continent from most of your support system is not exactly fun, but being sick in pc is pretty common and many of us were this week. I stayed home Friday because of it and received many texts and inquiries of concern by Saturday, which helped a lot. The upside of being up all night sick was being able to talk to my friends from home when they were actually free to have a conversation. I'm  still struggling a little but I think I'll be totally back to normal in another day or two.

Saturday was our host family party! We held an event to thank them for taking us into their homes as members of the family and teaching us all about living as a motswana. It was also a culture exchange as we made chili, played American games like limbo and sack races, and certainly taught a ton of American  line dances (my favorite part of course). It was a successful event! My host sister and brother came to celebrate. 


Sunday is of course for more Mumba, fun with friends, and reading. I'm enjoying it while I can because soon life is going to look very different once I swear in and move to my new home. It's going to be a wild ride! 

No comments:

Post a Comment