Sunday, August 30, 2015

August 22nd 2015

I am continuously reflecting on how blessed I was to be in the position I’m in. I am living out my dream of doing development work revolving around sex education in a foreign country. Literally. That is what I’m doing. Or at least, what I’m training to do. If you had asked me two years ago to tell you what I imagined myself doing when I “grew up”, those would be the three qualifying criteria. And here we are. It’s amazing how dreams manifest when you set your mind to them. Not only am I doing all of those things, I am living in a homestay with a family that is kind, loving, and selfless. They are helping me each day so that I can learn the cultural customs, how to cook traditional food, and how to perform the chores I’ll need to live in my own house after training. I am always well taken care of and I often go to bed with a full heart, thinking about how similar my homestay family is to my own in the way they show love. The people of Botswana (Batswana) are filled with kindness that I see each day. Often when we are walking to training we will be stopped by mothers and grandmothers for a quick chat to learn our names and which family we are staying with. They are always laughing with joy to hear us stumble through our Setswana phrases, and more than willing to teach us a new phrase or two. When we arrived in Botswana, we were told we had won the Peace Corps jackpot, and I’m starting to see why. I’m already captivated by my nightly sunsets from the front porch, the moment I take each day to slow down and appreciate where I am. Training is still going well. I’ve gotten 5 shots at this point and I still have at least 3 more to go to finish my series of vaccinations. Each day we start out with a virtue which people can volunteer to reflect on (inspired by The Virtue Project). It’s been a great way to get to know my fellow trainees as well as to reflect each day on my service and how each virtue with help me to succeed. Training days can be long, but sessions are typically only 2 hours at a time, which feel short compared to grad school classes. I’m lucky I was just in school because it definitely prepared me for 9+ hour days of training. The one fun part about training is Healthy Outlets which is where we plan activities near the end of the day for people to de-stress. So far I’ve done yoga and zumba, which I had never tried before and—surprise!— I loved it. Besides being in training I spend most of what free time I do have at my house with my host family. I’ve already gotten hooked to a South African soap opera (basically all that’s watched here) called Generations. I’m also slowly learning how to make the most common dishes here. There are two or three different types of porridge that are staples in Botswana, and I’m learning all the different ways to make and eat them. I’ve been eating huge meals. Perhaps I’m a bit too well fed. The trainees also spend a lot of time going to the strip mall or the grocery store or even the post office to run errands. Most importantly, the grocery store here sells cadbury Dairy Milk chocolate, so my obsession from Oz has continued! I’ve been trying to make deals with myself so that I don’t buy it all the time. For instance, my end of training treat to myself is going to be a magnum ice cream bar. Thank goodness for ex-british countries. Speaking of treats, this past week I went to a tailor and bought fabric so that I can have a traditional dress made! I want to buy two or three while I’m in country, so I thought I’d get my first one before swearing-in! As a group we have also gone on a big hike a bit outside the city, and spent a fair bit of time at a hotel with an outdoor bar area and pool which gives us some privacy from the general stares when large numbers of us congregate in public. We had an afternoon of project planning that turned into making s’mores with a family, and we are starting to get to know each other’s host families. Although I’m in bed almost every night by 9, I really don’t mind the quiet and slow pace I take when I get home. When everything is new, it doesn’t feel boring to just sit and take it all in, it feels refreshing. There is still so much I want to do and learn while I’m in training, but right now I know it’s best to take it one day at a time and to not worry about what is ahead, only what I am doing now. Being present in the current moment is what I have been focusing on the most, and that seems to be serving me well. I should have internet once a week or so through mid Oct. (except when I’m on my site visit for two weeks in Sept.). I appreciate letters very much, especially since my internet access is so random and short, and you can send them to Bethany Lewis, PST PBag 000243 C/O Peace Corps Gaborone, Botswana People kept asking about care package items. Right now the running list is: gluten free snacks (like KIND bars!) good lotion (it is pretty dry here) USB’s filled with media (TV/Movies/Books/New Beyonce) Pictures! packets to make lemonade etc out of water bottles The news! Clippings of important articles (ie. Buckeye victories) or magazines you’re finished with. Even if the news is old, it’s still new to me! There isn’t any global or US publication in print here so any news is appreciated. Maps I can hang on the wall: USA, Botswana, Africa, World If you are going to send anything make sure to either send it before the second week of September or to wait until I have my new address in October. Even an occasional fb message or email with an update on your life would be wonderful. Since my access is limited it’s harder to just scroll through news feeds to see what everyone is up to.

No comments:

Post a Comment