 |
| View of the Opera House from the Manly Ferry |
My apologies for the ridiculously long break between posts. I'll try to wrap up my semester with a few short posts this week, one after another. I know I'm horrible at keeping things quick, but I'll do my best! Keep checking back for more :)
 |
| Brooks Birthday & Cinco de Mayo |
 |
| My New Journal from Glebe |
After spending ever weekend and all of break jetting around to other cities, it was time to explore every nook and cranny of Sydney. I've spent almost every free day taking the train into the city to explore a new area, most often with Courtney in tow. I'll just give you some of the highlights!
Every day we could, Courtney and I would come into the city as early as we could manage, pick a spot, and I would sit and read, write, or listen to music for an hour while she went for a run through the city. This is literally my favorite way to start my day. After, we'd go to a new spot in the city for the afternoon. Nothing could be better!
 |
| View of the Harbour from the Manly Ferry |
One of those days we went to Manly Beach and over to the Sea Life Sanctuary. There was also a nifty market to walk through. There are tons of markets to wander through in the city, and we always seem to stumble upon the best ones on accident! One of my favorites is Glebe market, which has great fashion and yummy food.
 |
| Courtney and I at Sea Life Sanctuary |
 |
| Exploring the City! |
On another afternoon a few of us went to the Chinese Friendship Gardens in Darling Harbour. It is a beautiful sanctuary in the middle of the city with tons of trees, beautiful flowers, a waterfall, and a lovely little pond. I felt like I'd stepped into another world and all of the stress from classes simply melted away. It definitely became one of my favorite places in Sydney.
 |
| Chinese Friendship Gardens |
 |
| Gardens |
Near the end of May, a friend came over from the states on business, and as we went out to dinner and I talked about the do's and don'ts of Sydney, I realised how much I'd assimilated into the customs of this country. Not only do I use heaps more aussie words, I'm also laughing at their jokes and understanding the day to day. I started to really live in Sydney, rather than visit it.
 |
| Another Night Out in the Village w/ Friends! |
That same weekend, Courtney (and my friends Daniel and Kathyrn) ran the Sydney Half Marathon. A group of us woke up at 4:30am to make the trek into the city to cheer her on from start to finish. She did great! Finishing in the top 3%! That girl can run.
 |
| At the Start! |
 |
| Bright and Early! |
 |
| She did it! |
We were also rewarded, however, because afterwards we went to Pancakes on the Rocks! Pancakes is infamous in Sydney. It's 24 hours and there are a few locations around. The pancakes are massive and delicious! They are so filling that just two will knock you out for the day, and the best part is they have buttermilk AND chocolate! Needless to say, I was a pretty happy girl.
 |
| Devils Delight! |
Emma, who's Jaq in Alice, picked me up after pancakes and we went to another market and Reverse Garbage. This market was a really interesting and eclectic selection, and Reverse Garbage was sort of like a warehouse of old random things that would be perfect for massive art projects or building a set. After wandering around for awhile we decided to take full advantage of me having access to a car in the city (YAY!) and we took off towards the Northern Beaches! The beaches were beautiful. It was a perfect day to sit and watch the waves crash with a new friend. I'm so glad every day holds a new adventure.
Before Alice consumed my every moment for two weeks, I watched the sunset from the harbour bridge. As the moon rose on one side and the sun set on the other, we had an absolutely spectacular view of the harbour. This city is beyond beautiful.
It was standing on the bridge that I really understood that Sydney has become another home. It was then that I realized how much harder it would be to leave, because even if I was going to my home in Ohio, I was leaving my home in NSW.
As May came to a close, Alice rapidly picked up speed. Almost every night after rehearsals was spent cracking up at Maccas, and nights off were filled with silly nights out with cast members.
 |
Post Cast Pancakes: The Regret of Eating Four. |
Soon enough, it was time to bump in, and production week was in full swing. Even when nights at the theater were optional I was there until we were kicked out, painting sets and practicing lines.
 |
| Tea Party Break during Bump-in! |
And after we were kicked out, more adventures of laughing until I cried at Maccas.
We also were on the radio! The writers (Stevie and Joshy), Alice (Scarlett) , Hatter (Jake), Chesh (Todd) and I had a spot on a local radio show, and Scarlett even got to sing a song!
 |
| Joshy, Stevie, and our Radio Hosts! |
It was pretty awesome, I must say. I had celeb status for the day in another country, too cool.
 |
| Scarlett and I Cheesing it Up! |
The first week of Alice went by in a blur as I was nostalgic with thoughts of previous opening nights running through my head. When I took my final bow three years ago I wasn't sure if I'd ever be in a show again. The thought of being onstage without my best friends was overwhelming. But, as a wise woman once told me, the circle never ends, and every person who has ever been in the circle with you before, is with you now. It is so true. And every cast means a new set of best friends.
 |
| Emma, Todd, and I goofing around at Bump-in |
No comments:
Post a Comment