Tuesday, March 19, 2013

Oh My God, Oh My God You Guys!

March 14th marked one full month of being in Australia! What better way to celebrate then a night of call back fun for Alice! After a long night of dancing, singing, and improving, I walked out feeling like I gave it my all, and at least I had a fun audition! I waited allllllll day Wednesday for my email. Around 9pm I finally had an email: I was offered the role of the Queen of Hearts! I am ecstatic! It'll be so great to be back on stage again after such a long break. I can't think of a better way to spend my time in Oz then rehearsals on week days, and traveling on the weekends.

This weekend Mary, Courtney, Maxine and I traveled to the Gold Coast and Brisbane! We woke up at 3am Friday morning for a 4am shuttle pick up. After settling in at our terminal, I looked up at the board and noticed our flight was no longer on it. A few minutes later I got a text that our flight was cancelled! We went out to the front of the airport, stood in line for an hour, were booked on a later flight, and made it through security a second time before we got a SECOND text that our second flight was cancelled. Back in line. a new flight. and finally in the terminal for a 4:30pm flight. We were in the airport for 12 hours! Somehow we managed to entertain ourselves and enjoy our free food vouchers.

When we finally arrived at the Gold Coast we checked into Islanders Resort and found a cool japanese restaurant for dinner. Then we went down to the boardwalk for the night market. I have been obsessed with markets since Thailand, and this one was pretty good as well! After we walked to the main strip and sat down at a pub to people watch. It had been a long day so we turned in early.

Dinner in Surfers Paradise!

Saturday morning we found the most incredible pancake place in the world. Courtney and I both tried the "all you can eat" meal, and both of us were completely stuffed after 5. The record was 24, and I thought that was low, but after eating a few of these pancakes I could understand why it was so low. They were huge and fluffy, but had the perfect density. I've never eaten a pancake better than my dad's before that morning. We also had to steal a syrup bottle from another table for us.

Then we off on a train for Brisbane! It was absolutly beautiful when we arrived so we checked into Chill Backpackers and made our way into the city as quickly as we could. We crossed the river and walked along a perfectly landscaped path past green space, a ferris wheel, a play ground, the public pool (with sand beaches), the most perfect place to read a book, an assortment of shops and restaurants,  and finally found our way to the market.

The perfect place to read a great book.

The landscaping was wonderful!
I love seeing what all the booths have to offer and it's refreshing to know the sellers most likely produced all the products themselves.







We were delighted to hear that Legally Blonde the Musical was playing in Brisbane and had student rush tickets available! We had pretty decent seats, although we were clearly underdressed compared to the rest of the audience. The show was fantastic! I'd seen a recording of the Broadway show before, but nothing compares to seeing it live. The show is hilarious, and the songs are infectious. No one could stop smiling on our walk home. It was the perfect ending to an awesome day.

Courtney and I with Brisbane behind us.
We "slept in" Sunday morning and left for Mount Coot- Tha at 8am. Once again, however, we had transportation failure and we finally got out of the city around 10:30. Mount Coot-Tha has a breathtaking view of the entire city as well as great hiking trails.

View from the top!
We spent all afternoon wondering around the trails and watching for animals. We ate our packed lunches in the nearby botanical gardens and relaxed in the grass, exhausted.

Sunday night we joined the St. Patricks Day festivities at the Irish pub downtown. There was a live band that played great music all night.


It was so much fun to rock out with the girls and new friends from all over the world!

Our flight home Monday morning was another "bright and early" but this time we got home smoothly! I fell in love with Brisbane while I was there. It was one of the few big cities I've been in that I can see myself living in. There's something about that walk down the river that makes me smile. I love seeing so many different places and learning more about what I like and want in life.

Another week, another adventure!

Bethany

Time and Change Will Surely Show How Firm Thy Friendship OHIO

No comments:

Post a Comment